As Valentine’s Day Approaches, and thoughts of love are on everyone’s mind, you may want to know that besides feeling good, and bringing you closer to your partner, there is overwhelming evidence that sex is good for your health. The most recent research indicates that a healthy sex life may even help you live longer.
Here are 10 health benefits of sex that can add years to your life.
- Sex burns calories – Just can’t feel motivated to get to the gym? “Workout” in the bedroom instead. Studies have shown that the average love making session burns about 150 calories.
- Sex reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease – A huge study conducted by the New England Research Institute in 2010 concluded that sex reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Sex can fight colds and flu – A university study found that people who had sex at least twice a week had higher levels of immunoglobulin A in their systems, than those who had less sex. Immunoglobulin A is one of your immune system’s key defenses against colds and flu.
- Sex can relieve pain – During sex, among the “feel good” chemicals that are released is oxytocin, which reduces pain, particularly the pain of headaches. So, remember that guys, the next time she says “not tonight, I have a headache,” tell her sex is just what the doctor ordered!
- Sex reduces stress – Oxytocin, and the other hormones released during sex, also calm the nerves and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Stress reduces your risk of prostate cancer – Studies have shown that the more often men between 20 and 50 ejaculate, the less likely they are to develop prostate cancer later in life.
- Sex fights depression and boosts mood – A healthy sex life not only creates that feeling of euphoria just after orgasm, it is an effect that can last long after. Psychological research indicates that sexually active adults have more self-esteem, more self-confidence, and are less likely to suffer from depression and anxiety.
- Improves skin and makes you look younger – Ever notice that after sex it looks like your skin has a healthy glow? It’s not your imagination. According to a Scottish study, men and women who had orgasms three or more times a week, looked 10 years younger than those who orgasmed less. The researchers believed it has to do with the release of estrogen during orgasm, which leads to healthier skin and hair in both men and women.
- Sex improves memory and cognition – Studies have found that sex improves the connections in the areas of the brain related to long term memories, cognition, and analytical thinking.
- Sex can help to regulate sleep – It’s a joke that men like to nod off after sex, but the truth is, after achieving orgasm, the brain releases a number of hormones such as norepinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin that help you to feel relaxed and fall asleep. Regular sex, can lead to more regular sleep patterns.