Everyone is wondering “what can I do to protect myself from the coronavirus, or other viral epidemics that are making headlines?”
Forget running out and buying practically useless face masks, the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your family from the coronavirus is to practice good hygiene, and boost your immune system!
The immune system protects us from infections with layers of defenses to heal and ward off sickness, disease and inflammation.
Basically, the immune system is a network of specialized cells, tissues, proteins, and organs that work together to protect the body from all potentially damaging external invaders or diseases. When our immune system functions properly, it detects threats such as bacteria, parasites and viruses. It will then trigger an immune response to destroy them. But, like any machine, the better shape it is in, the better it can do its job!
How to Boost Your Immune System
The best way that you can help your immune system help you – is to live a healthy lifestyle. That means eating right, getting enough sleep, exercising, not smoking, and minimizing the use of recreational drugs or alcohol.
Beyond that you can improve the efficiency of your immune system by:
- Eating a diet that is low in fats, and high in protein and antioxidants
- Take supplemental vitamins and minerals
- Practice good hygiene habits, wash your hands often
- Practice some stress reduction techniques such as yoga, deep-breathing or tai chi
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Balance your gut health by eating, or taking supplemental probiotics
- Socialize more – studies have shown that social active people have healthier immune responses, than more isolated people
Doing all of these things does not guarantee that you will not contract the coronavirus, or any other disease for that matter, but a powerful immune system is your best defense against the many toxins and pathogens out there that can do your body harm!