In turning down key federal funding, Planned Parenthood has finally effectively admitted that its priority is not “women’s health,” as they and their left-wing supporters purport, but is, and always has been providing abortions.
Planned Parenthood recently said it will no longer accept Title X (aka “Title 10”) funding so that it can continue to refer women for abortions. The Title X Family Planning Program is a federal grant program created in 1970 to provide “comprehensive and confidential family planning services and preventive health services.” However, the Trump administration just created a “gag order” which prohibits healthcare providers serving in Title X funded institutions from referring patients for abortion.
So, Planned Parenthood has said they will opt-out of Title 10, and in doing so has made it clear that they are rejecting $60 million in Title X funds for one reason –so that it can continue to refer pregnant women for abortions.
Pro-life advocates are calling the funding cut a win, but they say the decision by the abortion provider exposes their true colors.
Former Planned Parenthood clinic director Abby Johnson said, “They don’t really care if they don’t receive Title 10 money because their primary focus is not women’s healthcare. Their primary focus is abortion.”
Many pro-life activists believe Planned Parenthood’s decision to forgo Title X funding clearly prioritizes abortion over family planning.
The organization recently ousted its CEO, Dr. Leana Wen, who promoted comprehensive healthcare for women over straight-up abortion advocacy.
Conservative constitutional attorney Jenna Ellis said, “It shows that their narrative claiming that they mainly provide healthcare services is just simply false.”
The Title 10 Gag Order
Evangelical Christians and other pro-lifers see the Title 10 “gag order” as a promise kept by the Trump administration. “Especially going into the 2020 election, Christians can be very encouraged that President Trump is keeping his promises to defund Planned Parenthood,” Ellis said.
Planned Parenthood is the country’s largest abortion provider. Its interim CEO argued Monday that the loss of Title X funds would cause many low-income women who depend on Planned Parenthood services to delay or go without care.
But pro-life advocates note that Planned Parenthood will still receive a big chunk of federal funding via Medicaid. Last year, it received half a billion dollars.
According to CBN News, “researchers say those Medicaid dollars encourage low-income women to get abortions.”
Speaking to CBN, Dr. Michael New of Catholic University said, “Essentially when the price of abortion goes down the incidence increases, and if low-income women can get abortion subsidized through Medicaid programs they’re more likely to get abortions.”
Pro-lifers also believe the loss of the $60 million in Title X funding will have minimal impact because that money can now go to medical providers that actually do provide women’s healthcare.
Besides, the Heritage Foundation’s Melanie Israel says Planned Parenthood reported close to a quarter-billion dollars in excess revenue last year so it can afford to lose the funds anyway.